• A country on Europe’s Iberian Peninsula, includes 17 autonomous regions with diverse geography and cultures
  • Population: 46.77 million
  • Capital: Madrid
  • Currency: Euro
  • Language: Spanish
  • Area‎: ‎505,990 km²


  • Visitors can generally expect a Mediterranean climate, characterized by hot, dry summers and mild, rainy winters. The vast central plateau, or Meseta, has a more continental influenced climate with hot, dry summers and cold winters. Rain generally falls mostly in spring and autumn. The mountains surrounding the plateau have a higher rainfall and often experience heavy snowfalls in winter.
  • North of the Cantabrian mountains, the Basque Country, Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia have a maritime climate, with cool summers and mild winters. The weather is often cloudy with frequent rainfall.
  • On the Mediterranean coast, the climate is moderate with rain in spring and autumn.
  • The area around Murcia has an almost African climate; rainfall is low and the Calima, or heat haze, is common during summer. On the Atlantic coast, the summers are cooler and fairly heavy rainfall occurs during winter.
  • Inland, the summers are hot and the rainfall decreases. The Balearic Islands have a maritime climate, with cool, wet winters and warm, dry summers.
  • ;

Why study in spain?

  • A Great Educational System
  • Experience the Country
  • Reasonable Tuition Fee
  • Wonderful Climate
  • Learn a New Language
  • Affordable Living Rates


  • 2 Schengen Application forms dully filled out and signed. The passport must be valid for the intended period of your stay in Spain with at least one blank page to affix the visa.
  • Current student ID
  • Two recent photos passport size with a white background.
  • Staple one photo on each of the application forms.
  • Letter of acceptance as a full time student from Spain’s University/School or US program indicating the name, address and registration number of the school with Spain’s Department of Education; full payment of all of the costs of tuition, duration of the program, subjects of the study and hours of study per week, which must be no less than 20.
  • Health Insurance (only the original form will be accepted): International insurance coverage for health/accident with a minimum coverage equal to 30,000 EUR during the planning period of stay in Spain (or its equivalency in dollars). This is in lieu of the EHC.
  • Proof of financial means during your stay: You should provide one of the following: a) Letter from the University or School in Spain assuming full financial responsibility during your stay b) Proof of financial aid or scholarship for at least $1,000 per month for room and board c) Notarized letter from your parents or legal guardians assuming full financial responsibility for at least $1,000 per month for room and board. d) Personal bank account statements showing at least $1,000 per month of stay

Spanish students visas and permits

Different regulations apply depending on the length of your studies, research or related activities in Spain.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens studying in Spain for less than three months (90 days) If you’re coming to study or carry out academic research in Spain for less than three months (90 days), you don’t need a visa for the purpose of study unless you come from a country for which a visa is required to enter Spain normally. You can find out if you need an entry visa for Spain in Expatica’s complete guide to Spanish visas and permits.

Note: You can’t come to Spain on a short-stay tourist visa and then apply for a student visa. You have to return to your home country and apply from there. Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens studying in Spain for between three and six months If your study programme lasts between three and six months you may be required to obtain a student visa but if it is stamped ‘180 days total studies’, you won’t be able to get a residence card/ tarjeta de identidad de extranjero (TIE) (Foreigner Identity Card) that will allow you to work in Spain.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens studying in Spain for more than six months If you’re studying in Spain for more than six months, then you’ll need to get a student visa (type D) and a student’s residence permit/card or Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) within 30 days of your arrival in Spain from your local Foreigner’s Office or police station.


Applying for a Spanish student visa

Once you have a confirmed place on a course, you can apply for a study visa at the Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country. You’ll need to apply for your visa between two and three months before you intend travelling to Spain to allow time to process your application.

Exactly what is required may vary from consulate to consulate but in general you’ll need to show your passport, as well as the following:

  • details of the study, training or research that you’ll be doing in Spain, including the hours of study per week (20 at least);
  • proof that you have medical insurance;
  • a medical certificate confirming that you don’t have any diseases that would require you to be quarantined;
  • proof that you have the funds to support you for the duration of your stay in Spain (eg. scholarship details, a Spanish bank showing sufficient funds or letter from parents/guardians assuming full financial responsibility);
  • information about where you’ll be living;
  • a criminal record certificate issued in the last five years by the relevant authorities in your home country.


  • University of Almería   Almería
  • University of Cádiz      Cádiz   Andalusia        1979   
  • University of CórdobaCórdoba          Andalusia        1972   
  • University of GranadaGranada          Andalusia        1531   
  • University of Huelva    HuelvaAndalusia        1993   
  • University of Jaén       Jaén    Andalusia        1993   
  • University of Málaga   Málaga            Andalusia        1972   
  • University of Seville     SevilleAndalusia        1505   
  • International University of Andalusia   SevilleAndalusia        1994   
  • Pablo de Olavide University    SevilleAndalusia        1997   
  • Loyola University Andalusia    SevilleAndalusia        2011    Catholic
  • University of Zaragoza            Zaragoza         Aragon1542   
  • San Jorge University (in Spanish)       Villanueva de GállegoAragon2005    Catholic
  • University of Oviedo    OviedoAsturias           1608   
  • University of the Balearic Islands        Palma  Balearic Islands           1978   
  • University of the Basque Country       Leioa   Basque Country          1980   
  • University of Deusto    Bilbao  Basque Country          1886    Catholic
  • Mondragon UniversityArrasate/Mondragón   Basque Country          1997    Private
  • University of La Laguna          San Cristóbal de La Laguna   Canary Islands            1927   


You have more questions?

Contact form successfully submitted. Thank you, I will get back to you soon!